Home Community Schools UVI VOICE Launches New Web Site With New Features

UVI VOICE Launches New Web Site With New Features

0

The University of the Virgin Islands student-run newspaper, the UVI VOICE, has launched a new Web site www.uvivoice.net. The new site is easy-to-navigate, and compatible with mobile phones and other devices. UVI VOICE online features breaking news and in-depth coverage of campus issues, and it offers student perspectives on national and global issues.
The editors, directors, reporters and photographers on the St. Thomas Campus and the Albert A. Sheen Campus on St. Croix are participating in UVI’s Journalism Workshop, or Com/English 200. “We are proud of how far it has come in such a short time,” said Arige Shrouf, UVI English major and UVI VOICE managing editor. Markida Scotland, UVI VOICE assistant editor and a communications major, began working on the Web site design in the beginning of fall 2013. Scotland designed the site to have UVI-related Twitter feeds and RSS feeds. “There is always something new on the site,” Shrouf said. Site visitors can also follow the UVI VOICE on Facebook and Twitter for breaking news alerts. “The UVI VOICE staff has been working tirelessly to make this site and this paper an excellent portrayal of all the skills and hard work that have gone into creating it,” she said.
The current issue includes stories on the installation of UVI Student Government Association leaders, UVI fashion, a feature on the iPhone verses the Galaxy and much more. The site highlights local celebrities under the “Reppin the V.I.” tab in an effort to showcase Virgin Islanders who can be role models for UVI students.
Students, professors, administrators and alumni can submit editorials, stories, pictures, ideas and suggestions to [email protected] and be published. To read more about the site’s editors and reporters visit http://uvivoice.net/about/fall-2013-staff/. The UVI VOICE is a socially conscious newspaper and Web site dedicated to reflecting the diverse perspectives that make-up the university. Stephanie Hanlon-Nugent, UVI journalism professor and St. Croix Avis Newspaper managing editor, is the UVI VOICE adviser.