Nov. 14, 2002 – A glitch at the Puerto Rico-based ADP, the company that prints benefits checks for the Government Employees Retirement System, caused it to run off all the checks for the current pay period without a signature, according to the GERS administrator, Laurence E. Bryan.
"They are looking into it," Bryan said Thursday.
For some unknown reason, he said, the imprint of his signature that always appears on GERS checks did not come out on the ones printed this time.
New checks bearing Bryan's signature were issued on Thursday and were expected to be delivered to the main post office on St. Thomas in the afternoon, he said.
About 75 percent of the more than 5,000 GERS retirees were affected by the problem, Bryan said. The other 25 percent receive their benefits via direct deposit to their accounts, which is done electronically.
Bryan said retirees should send the unsigned checks to the GERS offices on St. Thomas or St. Croix.
Publisher's note : Like the St. Thomas Source now? Find out how you can love us twice as much — and show your support for the islands' free and independent news voice … click here.