Home News Local news CAUSE OF MONGOOSE JUNCTION FIRE STILL UNKNOWN

CAUSE OF MONGOOSE JUNCTION FIRE STILL UNKNOWN

0

Jan. 16, 2003 – Fire inspectors have been unable to determine the cause of Saturday's blaze that destroyed the Grapevine Salon in the Mongoose Junction shopping complex and resulted in damage in two other stores.
Glenn Francis, a V.I. Fire Service inspector, said on Thursday that he found no evidence of arson or electrical fire. Salon owner Julie Stevens initially said she thought the fire was electrical in nature.
Francis said it appeared that the fire had smoldered for a long time before bursting into flames. "There was lots of heat and gases," he said.
Glen Speer, who owns the affected portion of Mongoose Junction, said he was waiting for the insurance adjuster to assess the damages. And he said an engineer must inspect the wooden building to make sure there is no structural damage.
The two stores damaged by smoke and water, Hurricane Alley and The Canvas Factory, reopened on Wednesday. Meanwhile, the Grapevine Salon has moved to the third floor of The Marketplace, and Speer said it is expected to reopen on Monday.
Stevens could not be reached for comment.

Publisher's note : Like the St. John Source now? Find out how you can love us twice as much — and show your support for the islands' free and independent news voice … click here.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here