Home News Local news Teen Killed, Suspect Shot Dead by Police

Teen Killed, Suspect Shot Dead by Police


November 15 – A St. Thomas man was shot to death as he lunged at police with a large knife after a bloody, violent crime spree that killed a teen and injured at least five others, police said Monday.
Joseph Wilkensen, who police described as between 26 and 35 years old, stabbed to death a 15-year-old boy watching a game of dominoes Sunday afternoon near Anna's Retreat, Sgt. Thomas Hannah, a police spokesman, said.
Wilkensen then fled to the nearby home of an elderly woman and threw rocks through nearly every window. The woman was struck in the face with a stone as it slammed through the glass, Hannah said.
According to the police report, he then hit a 50-year-old man in the head with a rock in an attempted carjacking. Wilkensen leapt on the car's hood and stabbed through the windshield with the 18-inch knife he had used to kill the teen, Hannah said.
A few minutes later, reportedly, Wilkensen ran onto the property of a 45-year-old man and stabbed him several times. The man was later rushed to Schneider Hospital for emergency surgery. He is expected to survive, Hannah said.
Wilkensen stood on the side of the road throwing rocks at cars until police arrived, then ran into nearby brush, Hannah said.
Police chased after him and tried to douse Wilkensen with pepper spray, but rain and heavy winds blew the non-lethal spray back at them, Hannah said.
Wilkensen ran into the road again, jumping on the hood of a passing police car. He stabbed through the windshield and nearly struck the policewoman driving the car, Hannah said. The policewoman fired several shots at Wilkensen but missed.
When police finally confronted Wilkensen, he lunged at an officer with the knife. The officer fired a single bullet into the suspect, who continued to advance at the officers, Hannah said.
Officers were able to wrestle the knife away from Wilkensen and handcuff him before transporting him to the Roy Lester Schneider Hospital, where he died of his wound.
Police have no idea what caused the bloody rampage that lasted less than two hours. An autopsy and toxicology report are planned, Hannah said.
Police have not yet released the names of the victims. Both officers who fired shots have been put on administrative leave pending investigations into the validity of their actions.
The homicide is the 33rd in the territory this year. There were 33 for all of last year.
Back Talk

Share your reaction to this news with other Source readers. Please include headline, your name and city and state/country or island where you reside.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here