Home News Local news Leewards in Trouble in Day Three of Carib Beer Series

Leewards in Trouble in Day Three of Carib Beer Series


Feb. 6, 2005 — Rain plagued the third day of the Carib Beer Series cricket match Sunday at the Addelita Cancryn Cricket Grounds as the Windward Islands declared a dominating 417 for nine.
Windward fans ran the boundary with down-island flags as the Leewards lost a wicket before they could score, then a four more before the day was out. Tonito Willett was caught by wicketkeeper Junior Murray off a Deighton Butler bowl to drop the first wicket before the Leewards could score.
Moments later the second wicket fell as Sylvester Joseph was leg before wicket at four for two.
The Leewards chased the Windwards declared 417 for 9 at tea, ending the day with a deficit of 155 at 87 for 5.
The third wicket fell at 57 as Shane Jeffers was bowled by Shane Shillingford, dismissed with 13.
Hyron Shallow caught Runako Morton at silly mid-off to down the fourth wicket.
William Cornwall was caught in the gully by Butler for the fifth wicket off a Rawle Lewis bowl.
Stewart Williams batted well despite the deficit, blasting two high sixes, one of which cleared the grandstands and landed in an adjacent parking lot.
Williams finished not out with 60.
Ridley Jacobs was the other not out batsman with 1.
Windwards batsman Sebastien was briefly forced to leave the match before
tea after a ball bowled by Adam Sanford smashed into his wrist. Following his return, he was not out with 32 at tea when Lewis called in his team.
Shillingford knocked a six wide long-on then a strong two before being caught by Stuart Williams just before tea. Shillingford finished with 31.
Kenroy Peters was the other not out batsman with seven.
The Leewards fielded well despite wet turf from persistent rain that extended the lunch break by 30 minutes.
Darren Sammy was leg before wicket on the first ball after lunch, finishing with 15.
Butler smashed a four to the fence only to be caught on the next ball by Stuart Williams at first slip of a bowl by Carl Simon.
Rain delayed the game's start by 15 minutes. Both of Leewards' overnight batsmen were dismissed before rain stopped play again.
Devon Smith was leg before wicket for 142 after resuming at his overnight score of 135.
Stiff gusts blew rain across the pitch as Murray was bowled by Carl Simon, dismissed after adding five to his overnight 61.
Grounds crews rushed to cover the pitch after the rains increased. Play resumed after a 30 minute delay.
Play resumes Monday at 10 a.m.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here