Home Community Schools UVI Bulletin Board

UVI Bulletin Board

0

Spring Semester Classes Begin Today; Add/Drop Period Set for Jan. 14-18
The Spring Semester on UVI's St. Thomas and St. Croix campuses begins today (Monday, Jan. 14, 2008), and ends on Sunday, May 4, 2008. The period for students to add or drop classes runs from Jan. 14 through18. Details are available from the BUCSS link on the UVI home page – www.uvi.edu.

UVI VOICE Submissions Sought; First 2008 Issue Set for Feb. 4
The deadline for submissions to the first 2008 issue of the UVI VOICE student newspaper has been extended to Jan. 18. The distribution date for this first issue will be Feb. 4. Please submit student-oriented news/events briefs, meeting notices/deadlines, etc. to: www.uvi.edu.

Spring Semester CLEP Tests Offer Chance to Earn College Credit
CLEP – College Level Exam Program – tests will be administered five times during the spring semester at the University of the Virgin Islands. Successfully completing a CLEP test allows a student to earn college credit, saving money and cutting the time it takes to earn a degree. The tests are offered in more than 20 areas of study, ranging from accounting to chemistry to English literature. A complete list is available on pages 26 and 27 of the 2007-08 UVI Catalog – available online at http://www.uvi.edu.
The next series of CLEP tests will be administered on Jan. 30 on the St. Thomas campus. The registration deadline is Jan. 28. Other CLEP test dates on St. Thomas are available from the Academics page of the UVI web site – www.uvi.edu.
The schedule for spring semester CLEP tests on the St. Croix campus will be announced as soon as it is confirmed.
Students can register for the tests at the Access and Enrollment Services Office in the Administration and Conference Center on the St. Thomas campus or the Academic Services Office on the St. Croix campus. The cost is $65 per test, plus a $10 administrative fee. Only checks, money orders or credit cards will be accepted for payment. For more information contact the UVI Admissions Office at 693-1168 on St. Thomas or the UVI Academic Services Office at 692-4103 on St. Croix.

Renowned Professor of Special Education to Make St. Thomas Presentation on Jan. 17
UVI's Virgin Islands University Center for Excellence in Developmental Disabilities (VIUCEDD) invites the UVI community to a presentation by renowned special education educator Dr. George Sugai at 6 p.m. on Thursday, Jan. 17, at the Wyndham Sugar Bay Hotel & Spa Resort. Dr. Sugai's presentation will focus on Wrap-Around Services to further the social and emotional skills of special education students. A discussion session will be included.
Dr. Sugai is Director of the Center for Behavioral Education and Research at the University of Connecticut's Neag School of Education and co-director of the U.S. Department of Education's National Center on Positive Behavioral Interventions and Supports. The presentation is co-sponsored by the Virgin Islands Department of Education and VIUCEDD. For more information or to RSVP, contact Belinda West O'Neal at 775-2250 ext. 8530.

UVI to Observe Martin Luther King Holiday on Monday, Jan. 21
The University of the Virgin Islands will be closed on Monday, Jan. 21, in observance of the Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Day holiday. UVI classes will resume and administrative offices will open on their regular schedules on Tuesday, Jan. 22.

St. Croix Campus Affairs Forum Scheduled for Jan. 23
A St. Croix Campus Affairs Forum is scheduled for 12:30 p.m. on Wednesday, Jan. 23, in the NWW Great Hall. Among the agenda items are searches to fill student affairs and student activities positions, new capital projects, a new health and wellness initiative, a prospective First Bank ATM on campus, an overview of spring orientation and institutional security enhancements. The forum is open to all students, faculty and staff. Light refreshments will be served.
Playing Ring is Next Up in Reichhold's 2008 Season
Playing Ring, scheduled for Feb. 2, is the next scheduled performance in UVI's Reichhold Center for the Arts 2008 season. The third installment of Playing Ring, the show will celebrate music and dance indigenous to the Caribbean. It will feature scratch bands from the Virgin Islands, as well as St. Lucia and Dominica. For details, to become a season subscriber, or to purchase show tickets, visit the Reichhold Center web site: www.reichholdcenter.com

Reichhold to Host Puerto Rico Symphony
UVI's Reichhold Center for the Arts will host a performance by the Puerto Rico Symphony at 8 p.m. on Saturday, Jan. 19. The show is a presentation of The Forum. Tickets are available from the Reichhold Box Office, Dockside Bookshop, Interiors (Fort Mylner), Island Video (Nisky) and Home Again (Red Hook).

Taxi & Tour Certification Program Set for February
Taxi and Tour Operators who wish to join their peers in receiving certification have the opportunity to once again qualify for certification through a six-week program offered by UVI's Community Engagement and Lifelong Learning Center (CELL). The next session is scheduled for 6-8 p.m. on Thursday, Feb. 14, on St. Thomas. The program covers customer service, V.I. history and culture, points of interest and presentation skills. Training costs $250 and includes materials. Students are required to pass a 100-question exam and put the presentation skills acquired in class to use in order to receive certification. Graduates are eligible for membership in the Certified Taxi and Tour Guide Association.
The certification program was developed by UVI-CELL and is endorsed by the USVI Hotel and Tourism Association and the Caribbean Hotel and Tourism Association. To register, call the UVICELL Center at 693-1100 or visit cell.uvi.edu.
For more about the University of the Virgin Islands, visit the Web site: www.uvi.edu.