Home News Local news Convenience Store Blaze Quickly Extinguished

Convenience Store Blaze Quickly Extinguished


Nov. 2, 2004 – Little has been learned about a blaze that erupted in a downtown store Tuesday morning, though the fire was contained quickly by St. Thomas firemen.
The ceiling of the Guttets Gade convenience store, First Stop Convenience Center and Liquor, was badly damaged, but much of the store's inventory remained unburned. The owner, a man who identified himself only as Salem, said he arrived at 8 a.m. to open his store and found firefighters already at work.
The floor was covered in a thick layer of water and soot, and the stench of charred wood drifted out from a ruin of T-shirts, snacks and broken bottles. Much of the ceiling was gone, exposing burned rafters, but the bulk of the destruction seems to have come from smoke and the water used to extinguish the flames.
Remarkably, right next door, beyond a wall shared by both stores, the Boutique de Unique was open for business by mid-morning.
Fire Service spokespersons did not return multiple phone calls, and Salem was not available for further comment. According to radio reports the fire is under investigation for possible arson.

Back Talk

Share your reaction to this news with other Source readers. Please include headline, your name and city and state/country or island where you reside.
Publisher's note : Like the St. Thomas Source now? Find out how you can love us twice as much — and show your support for the islands' free and independent news voice… click here.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here