Home News Local news Coastal Flood Warning in Effect for Virgin Islands

Coastal Flood Warning in Effect for Virgin Islands


Nov. 12, 2004 – A coastal flood warning is in effect for the Virgin Islands, Ed Tirado, National Weather Service meteorologist in San Juan, said Friday evening, "especially all northeast shorelines." Small-craft and high-surf advisories are also in effect, Tirado said. In short, "everyone should stay out of the water."
Wind and waves will remain unusually high through the weekend, though the wind should die down somewhat by Saturday afternoon.
Winds across the Virgin Islands are currently 25-35 miles per hour. Unusually high tides combined with the wind have produced "rough and confused seas," discussion on the Weather Underground Web site said Friday, "making for very hazardous surf conditions."
A coastal flood warning indicates that flooding along the coastline is occurring or is impending.
Persons in the area should take immediate action to protect themselves and their property and move further inland out of the area.
Rip tides and heavy surf create dangerous conditions for swimmers and surfers, especially.
"The surf isn't that good right now, anyway," Tirado said. "It's not like you have pure swells."
Weather Underground said people on the beach should watch for "very large breaking waves surging upon the shore… which can sweep people of all sizes and pets into the ocean."
Stay off rocks and avoid the shoreline, while the current conditions continue.
The National Oceanographic Atmospheric Administration Web site reports a 60 percent chance of rain through Saturday night, diminishing to 40 percent by Sunday.
The forecast for the coming week, according to NOAA, calls for scattered clouds and a 20 percent chance of rain daily through next Friday.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here