Home Community Schools UVI Bulletin Board

UVI Bulletin Board

0

UVI Opens Registration for Two Summer Sessions
Registration for two summer sessions during 2006 at the University of the Virgin Islands' St. Croix and St. Thomas campuses has begun. Summer Session I runs from May 17 through June 20. Summer Session II will run from June 23 through July 28. Online registration will be available from today, April 3, through May 15 for Summer Session I. Online registration for Summer Session II also begins today and continues through June 21. Summer Session class offerings and detailed registration information can be viewed on the UVI web site. A link is available from the UVI home page – www.uvi.edu.
Summer Session English and Math Placement Test Scheduled
UVI has also announced that English and mathematics placement tests will be offered as follows:
St. Thomas Campus: English Placement — Tuesday, May 9 — 3 to 5 p.m. in Sports and Fitness Center room 222; Math Placement – Wednesday, May 10 — 4:30 to 6:30 p.m. in Classroom Administration Building room 302
St. Croix Campus: English Placement — Tuesday, May 9 — 3 to 5 p.m. in Evans Center room 305; Math Placement — Wednesday, May 10 — 4:30 to 6:30 p.m. in Evans Center room 308.
UVI Has New Student Newspaper; Online Version Available
The first issue of a new UVI student newspaper is circulating on the St. Croix and St. Thomas campuses. Included are stories about dorm privacy, UVI's designation as the Tom Joyner School of the Month for May 2006, an interview with UVI President Dr. LaVerne E. Ragster, the Writing Center, entertainment, student activities and more. The newspaper is also running a contest for students to come up with a permanent name for the publication. Suggestions should be forwarded to Executive Editor Prof. Lydia Harris at [email protected]. The winner will receive $100 in gift certificates to the UVI Bookstore. The contest deadline is April 10. An online version of the paper can also be accessed from the "Latest Links" menu on the UVI home page – www.uvi.edu.
Dateline: UVI Offers First Look at UVI's 2006 Carnival Costumes
The latest issue of Dateline: UVI is now available from the UVI web site – www.uvi.edu. Featured is the recent appearance at UVI by activist Randall Robinson as part of UVI's Charter Week activities. The monthly newsletter also includes a first look at the UVI Carnival Troupe's 2006 costumes. Photos of men's and women's costumes are featured. For information or to join the troupe call 693-1672.
Humanities and Social Sciences Colloquia Set April 4 and 6
The UVI community is invited to the following Humanities and Social Sciences Division Colloquia. For more info call Kristin Rozzell at 693-1359.
Theater Lighting Demonstration — 12:30-1:15 p.m. on Wednesday, April 5. Demonstration by Doug Salisbury in the UVI Little Theatre, second floor of the Classroom Administration Building.
"A Study of World Christianity Focusing on the USVI" — 12:20-12:50 p.m. — Thursday, April 6. Presentation by Dr. Patricia Harkins Pierre in Chase Auditorium (B-110) on the St. Thomas campus, with a videoconference link to Evans Center 401 on the St. Croix campus.
Little Theatre's 'Servant' Opens to Sellout Crowds, Continues April 3 and 4
The UVI Little Theatre's spring production of the Carlo Goldoni play "The Servant of Two Masters" opened before sellout audiences on Saturday and Sunday, April 1 and 2. The play, which was adapted and is directed by prominent American playwright Tom Ziegler, continues through Tuesday, April 4. Show time is 8 p.m. Some tickets are still available for the remaining shows. Tickets, $12 for adults and $6 for students, can be purchased at the UVI Bookstore, UVI Humanities Office, Dockside Bookshop and Nisky Mail Boxes.
SBDC-FirstBank Offer Free Seminar on Financial Statements on April 5
A free seminar titled "Understanding Financial Statements" will be presented by UVI's Small Business Development Center (SBDC) in collaboration with FirstBank V.I. from 6 to 8 p.m. on Wednesday, April 5. The presenters will be Carolyn Cole and Anthony Morton, commercial loan relationship officers at FirstBank. This seminar is designed for existing and potential business owners, students and employees. The seminar will take place at the SBDC Training Facility at Nisky Center on St. Thomas. Pre-registration is required. To pre-register or for details, call the SBDC office at 776-3206.
Old School-New School Basketball Jam Set for April 7
The public is invited to an Old School-New School Basketball Jam on Friday, April 7, on the University of the Virgin Islands' St. Thomas campus. The jam is part of the on-going Tom Joyner Foundation/UVI School of the Month fundraising effort. UVI's Buccaneers women's and men's teams will play the St. Thomas Women's All Stars and the Bandits, champions of the St. Thomas 40-plus league, respectively. Admission is $3 for adults and $1 for students. The Caribbean Ritual Dancers will perform at halftime. Games, relay races and hula hoop contests are planned. Prizes and giveaways will be held throughout the evening. The jam will take place in UVI's Sports and Fitness Center.
'Read on the Green' Session Planned for April 8 on UVI Golf Course
Virgin Islands public school and academic libraries will celebrate National Library Week 2006 with an afternoon of reading titled "Read on the Green," from 1 to 5 p.m. on Saturday, April 8, on the UVI Golf Course on the St. Thomas campus. Author/storyteller Elaine Jacobs will read to children at 2 p.m. Other planned activities include face painting, storytelling and crafts. Families are encouraged to come out and share their love of reading. For more information, contact Sharlene Harris at 693-1361.
UVI Concert Band to Perform 'A Lenten Concert' on April 11
"A Lenten Concert" featuring the UVI Concert Band will be performed at 7:30 p.m. on Tuesday, April 11, at the Wesley Methodist Church in Tutu. Prof. Austin A. Venzen will conduct. Guest artists include the Wesley Methodist Senior Choir, Yvonne D. Francis, Vashti Hooker, Marilyn Malone, Malvern V. Gumbs, Phyllis Benjamin and Dr. Alfred O. Heath. Admission is free. The concert is presented by the Music Area of UVI's Humanities and Social Sciences Division. For more information, contact Prof. Venzen at 693-1192.
Free Math Enrichment Program to be Offered on St. Thomas, St. Croix
The University of the Virgin Islands' Science and Mathematics Division is accepting applications for a free Summer Bridge2Calculus program which will be presented from June 19 through July 28. Summer Bridge2Calculus is designed to enhance the mathematics preparedness of college-bound students who are interested in pursuing careers in science, mathematics, engineering, technology or medicine. The program is open to students who have completed grade 12 and are entering UVI in fall of 2006. It is also open to students already attending UVI who have successfully completed the MAT 024 course. Eligible students will be those who would like to take calculus in the fall semester of 2006 and are ";almost ready"; but who need extra help to assure readiness and success. No academic credit will be given for this course. Classes will be held on Mondays through Fridays, from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., on both UVI campuses. A limited number of spots are available for this fun-filled and intellectually stimulating activity. Tuition will be provided free by the University through a grant from the National Science Foundation's Historically Black College and University Undergraduate Programs. For more information and for an application form, call the Science and Mathematics Programs office at 693-1232.
UVI-CELL Offers Basic Web Design Course on St. Croix Beginning May
UVI&#
39;s Community Engagement and Lifelong Learning (CELL) Center will offer a course in basic web design on UVI's St. Croix campus on Saturdays from May 6 through June 10. Class meetings are from 9 a.m. to noon. The cost is $425. This hands-on, comprehensive course provides students with the techniques needed to plan, organize, and create a web site from start to finish. Explore both common errors and tried-and-true, best practices for web site development. Students should have basic computer skills, experience using the Web and familiarity with Microsoft Windows operating system. For more information, contact 692-4230 or [email protected].
Slim Cutters Win Cruzan Style March Madness
More than 150 fans attended the dramatic, double-overtime victory of Slim Cutters over Cryptoknightz, 45-44, in the championship game of the St. Croix Campus Intramural Spring Basketball League on March 29. The Cutters' Dean Baptiste hit a 33-foot turn-around jumper at the buzzer to cement the win. The Cutters were lead by Baptiste with 19 points, followed by Angel Carrion with eight, William Kirkland with six, Garett Bell with four, Medwo Paul and Noel Burnett with three each, and A.J. Webster with two. The Cryptoknightz were led by brothers Daniel Archibald with 17 and Curtis Archibald with 14. Dwayne Thomas added eight points and Selah Macedon contributed five. Six teams and 62 players participated in the league, according to St. Croix Intramural Director Bruce Wray. All games were played at the St. Croix campus outdoor recreational facility. Other intramural activities on the St. Croix campus include archery, basketball, bowling, table tennis, tennis and volleyball. For more information on intramural play, contact Wray at 692-4139.
For more about the University of the Virgin Islands, visit the Web site: www.uvi.edu.