November 20, 2017 11:38 am Last modified: 12:21 pm

CIT Releases List of Important Emergency Phone Numbers

Jan. 16, 2009 – St. John's Community Integration Team (CIT) has come up with a handy list of who to call to solve myriad problems. The information is listed on a 3"X6" card. St. John CIT Chairman Helen Simon has distributed many of them at places like the Mail Center and St. John Hardware, and she is ironing out the details with the U.S. Postal Service so they can be placed in mailboxes.
St. Croix resident Judi Fricks, who is a member of the territory's CIT program, said the cards were printed by the governor's office at no charge to CIT, which is a joint public/private partnership with the Virgin Islands Police Department aimed at helping to solve the territory's various issues related to crime.
The list of important phone numbers includes:
· Roads – potholes, road stripes and speed bumps. Call the Public Works Department at 776-6346.
· Litter – illegal dumpsites, furniture, appliances, tires, general litter and overflowing trash cans in public areas. Call V.I. Waste Management Authority at 776-6346. For business litter, call the Waste Management's enforcement arm at 776-6346.
· Loud noise, disturbance of the peace and illegal activity. Call the Police Department at 911 or 693-8880 or Crime Stoppers at 800-222-8477.
· Animals – stray, lost, abused, injured or abandoned. Call the Animal Care Center of St. John at 774-1625. For dead or emaciated horses or livestock, call the Agriculture Department at 776-6724. For dead horses, cows and large animals, Waste Management at 776-6274. For small dead animals, call the Health Department's Environmental Health Division at 776-6400. For turtles, call the Department of Planning and Natural Resources Fish and Wildlife Division at 693-8735.
· Waterways – search and rescue at sea, water pollution, illegal fishing, illegal dumping at sea, negligent operation of boats, boat salvage, and boating and fishing rules and regulations. Call DPNR at 693-8735. On nights and weekends, call 774-3320.
· Street light outages – highways, roads and neighborhoods. Call the V.I. Water and Power Authority at 776-6446.
· Broken sewer lines and overflowing manholes, call Waste Management at 776-6346 or 774-4139.
· Water main breaks. Call WAPA at 776-6446. For after hours electrical emergencies, call 774-1424.
· Abandoned vehicles. Call the St. John Administrator's Office at 776-6484.
· Environmental Health – businesses and residences. Call the health inspector at 774-9000.
· Drugs on your street. Call the High Intensity Drug Trafficking Agency at 774-1813 or Crime Stoppers at 800-222-8477 (800-222-TIPS).
· Illegal guns. Call Project Safe Neighborhood confidential line at 776-4867 (776-GUNS), or 911 or Crime Stoppers at 800-222-8477 (800-222-TIPS).

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Support the VI Source

Unlike many news organizations, we haven't put up a paywall - we want to keep our journalism as open as we can. Our sites are more popular than ever, but advertising revenues are falling - so you can see why we could use your help. Our independent journalism costs time, money and hard work to keep you informed, but we do it because we believe that it matters. If everybody who appreciates our reporting efforts were to help fund it for as little as $1, our future would be much more secure. Thanks in advance for your support!

Leave a Reply