Gerard Emanuel, assistant director for the V.I. Department of Education’s Division of Cultural Education, has announced the second “Virgin Islands Personality Essay Competition.”Theseries of territorial cultural essay contests targets full-time middle, junior and senior high school students in public, private and parochial schools across the territory, monthly The Virgin Island personalities for the month of March are Myra Keating-Smith in the St. Thomas-St. John District and Ulmont James in the St. Croix District.
Emanuel said, “This project enhances stated goals of both the department and the administration, which places priority on reading, writing and research, providing lifelong benefits for our student community; focuses on GOAL A of the division, which is to infuse history and culture into the curriculum; and supports the department’s goals of student achievement, school culture, teacher and leader effectiveness.”
Participants are required to submit their essays with a minimum of 300 words, citing a minimum of three sources.
Entries must be hand delivered no later than 4:45 p.m. the last Friday of each month to the Division of Cultural Education located at the Jarvis School AnnexonSt. Thomas and at the Vitraco Mall, Golden Rock, Suite 4B location onSt. Croix. Winners will be announced within seven days of submittal. All submissions become the property of the Division of Cultural Education. No electronic submissions will be accepted.
For more information, contact the Cultural Education Offices at: 774-0100, ext.2804, 2806 or 2809 on St. Thomas or 718-3645, ext. 1 or 3 on St. Croix.
Cultural Education Contest Criteria
· All full-time public, parochial, and private school students in middle, junior, and senior high schools are eligible.
· All essays should contain a minimum of 300 words and maximum of 350 words.
· A minimum of three sources must be cited. Sources may be individuals, books, news articles, the Internet or whatever source the student wishes to utilize. However, it must be clearly identified, such as: the resource individuals, the author, book title, page number and paragraph. Any publication referenced should be dated.
· All submissions must betyped and double spaced.
· All entries must be hand-delivered no later than 4:45 p.m. on the last Friday of each month to the Cultural Education Division: St. Croix: Vitraco Mall, Golden Rock, Suite 4B or St. Thomas: J. Antonio Jarvis Annex.
Cover Page Submittal:
· The cover page must have the name of the personality/event, date and school.
· If there was any teacher assistance, that teacher must be identified, and the subject he/she teaches.
· The student information must include: full name, homeroom, personal phone number, mailing address and
parental contact information (name, telephone number, etc.)
· Eligible full-time middle, junior, or senior high public, parochial or private school students
· 300 – 350 word essay on selected Virgin Islands personality
· Minimal of three sources cited
(10 points) or
· Minimal of four or more sources cited
· Fluency, format, presentation, style, grammar, etc.
First Prize: $250
Second Prize: $150
Third Prize: $100
Division of Cultural Education Responsibilities, Rights:
· The Division of Cultural Education will submit in a timely manner the personality/event the scheduled essays are
to be written on for each respective month.
· The personality or event would differ according to districts.
· Within seven business days of entry submittal, the winners will be announced.