Parents wishing to enroll their children in St. Thomas-St. John district public schools for the 2011-2012 school year are advised that the registration period will be held from8:15 a.m. to noon, on Monday, May 2, and will continue through Thursday, May 26, at the Department of Education’s Curriculum Center, according to a press release issued on April 8 by the V.I. Department of Education. (The center is located in Anna’s Retreat across from the Seventh-day Adventist Church).
Parents and guardians are reminded that the child or children to be registered must be present at registration. Students entering Kindergarten must be five years of age on or before Dec. 31, 2011. The following documents are required for processing:
1. Original Birth Certificate (U.S. citizens only)
2. Passport (foreign or American) or Resident Card or Naturalization Certificate
3. Virgin Islands Immunization Record and clearance form from the Immunization Clinic located at the Roy L. Schneider Regional Medical Center. A V.I. immunization card with the attached clearance form issued at the immunization clinic at the RLS Hospital is a mandatory requirement of the registration process. No exceptions will be made.
4. Report Card or transcript from previous school
5. Social Security card or number
6. Proof of physical address (example: official document such as a WAPA bill showing name and street address)
7. Individualized Education Plan (IEP) and evaluation data, if applicable
8. Notarized letter granting temporary guardianship.
Students 17 years of age or older on the date of registration or transfer, possessing a good academic standing, and in an age appropriate grade, will be permitted into the regular day education program. All others will be referred to the district’s adult continuing education programs.
In releasing Phase I of the registration, parents and guardians are asked to pay special attention to the dates as the schedule has been reversed to begin with names at the end of the alphabet. The schedule for students to be registered during the noted period is as follows in accordance with the first letter of their last name:
Date First letter of last name
May 2: W and Z
May 3: U and V
May 9: S and T
May 10: R
May 11: P and Q
May 12: N and O
May 13: M
May 17: K and L
May 18: H, I, J
May 19: F and G
May 20: D and E
May 24: C
May 25: B
May 26: A
Registration for children residing on the island of St. John will be held from 8:30 a.m. through 11:45 a.m. on Friday, May 27, at the Julius E. Sprauve School.
For more information, contact Sharon Richardson, district director of Parent and Community Involvement at 775-2250, ext. 8530.