Despite giving public notice they were going to crack down on drinking and driving over the Easter holiday, V.I. police arrested and charged 14 people across the territory with drunk driving over the long weekend. Most of the arrests were on St. Croix.
On St. Thomas, 41-year-old Roland G. Murrell was arrested Friday at about 8:15 p.m. on Hidden Valley road after he caused a car accident while intoxicated, according to a statement from the V.I. Police Department.
Christian Alejandro Machuca, 30, of Raphune Hill was arrested minutes after midnight Saturday on Veterans Drive after he was observed swerving on the road and failed the field sobriety test. And 41-year-old Robert P. Ba-at was arrested Saturday at about 4:15 a.m. on Red Hook Road for causing a car accident.
On St. Croix, police arrested:
- Jose E. Serrano, age 41, of La Grande Princess April 20 at about 10:15 p.m. after officers saw him speeding in Christiansted town. When police stopped the vehicle they noticed a strong odor of alcohol on his breath, and Serrano failed the field sobriety test, according to police.
- Elroy O. Smith, 48, of Catherine’s Rest on Thursday at about 11 p.m. when he was observed speeding and was found to be driving drunk.
- Ernest J. Jalim, 47, of Estate Calquhoun was arrested Saturday at about 7:15 p.m. for driving under the influence.
- Rene Yan, 38, of Estate Stoney Ground was arrested Saturday for reckless driving and driving under the influence on the Melvin Evans Highway.
- Donald Dewilde, 62, of Estate Shoy was arrested at about 11 p.m. Police observed him speeding and ignoring posted signs. He was also driving while intoxicated.
- Forty-eight -year old Paul Harding of Catherine’s Rest was arrested and charged with DUI at about 11:30 p.m. at a traffic checkpoint.
- Perry Romney, 36, of Estate Tipperary was arrested for DUI while driving in the Tide Village area.
- Evan E. Flemming, 45, was driving in the Bassin Triangle area when he was arrested for drunk driving.
- Adrian Velmont, 24, of Estate Williams Delight was arrested at a DUI checkpoint after he failed the field sobriety test and the breathalyzer test.
- Hurchell Greenaway, age 66, was arrested Sunday on the East End road at about 11:30 p.m. Police observed Greenaway almost hit another vehicle, proceeded to stop him and administered a field sobriety test, which he failed.
- Tyrus Fontaine, age 29, of Estate Castle Burke was arrested Sunday at about 11:45 when he was seen drinking while driving and had an open container in the vehicle. Fontaine failed the field sobriety test, according to police.